Berlin Baptist Church was organized in 1876 as part of Mt. Herman Baptist Church. The Mt. Herman Church building burned on December 28, 1925. Mt. Herman began meeting in the old Berlin Schoolhouse, which was located on the right of what is now Highway 302, South of the Salley Road.
There was some controversy as to where a new church building would be built. "Two places were suggested and voted on by the church. The first place suggested was the place between the railroad crossing and the field on the left of the road near Dead Man's Branch. The second place suggested was where the public road from Hollow Creek intersected the public road that leads to Wagener. First place received 24 votes and the second place received 18 votes." Rev. K. D. Smith was called as pastor on the first Sunday May 1927. On the second Sunday in May, the pastor and deacons were chosen to submit the plans for a new church building. The pastor was to have the exclusive right to select the site for the building. The site chosen by the pastor was the second one and that was proposed. There was once again disagreement over this site. Part of the members decided to go back across the river and they built Mt. Herman on its present site. The other members continued meeting in the school.
Berlin School built a new building on the land where Calvary Baptist now exist. The church began meeting in the new building and continued to meet there until 1935 when the first New Mt. Herman Baptist Church was built.
Seivern Baptist Church tore down their old wooden church to build their present building. The old lumber was acquired from them. Some of the men from New Mt. Herman moved the lumber on two-horse wagons from Seivern to our present site and the first church was built.
In years to follow there was some difficulty in distinguishing New Mt. Herman from Old Mt. Herman. To eliminate this confusion, in 1964 the members of New Mt. Herman decided to change their name to Berlin Baptist Church and it remains the same today.